Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Fish and a Freeloader

We spent last Saturday on the quiet shore of Horsethief Lake fishing for rainbow trout and drinking PBR. There were a few other hunters taking advantage of the fee-free campground but they weren't having much luck with the deer. We, on the other hand, were lucky with the fish. Over the two days there, I caught two fish and Chris caught four fish. It was an all around beautiful day. At bedtime we thought we heard some batty winged thing flopping around on the roof but didn't think much of it.
The campground from the Dod's POV.
View of the campsite from the lake.
Here's my friend, Quack! We quacked back and forth for a good five minutes straight. He swam over to me and thought I was one strange duck!
The water was like glass.

Chris had to tell me I had a bite.

The worst day of fishing is better than the best day at work.
Beer in one hand, fishing pole in the other.

I was absolutely ecstatic when I reeled in my first fish.

Chris' first catch!

Here is the "after" picture.

Sunday, Chris got up early to wake up the fishies and I slept in as long as possible. Snug and cozy, I did some crocheting and sipped on coffee until lunchtime when it was necessary to transform the bedroom into a dining area. We spent another wonderful day at the lake. Chris did some fishing and I did some watercolor painting. At dinnertime Chris cleaned the trout (ick) and we dined on fish tacos. Again, at bedtime that winged thing started beating on the roof. Also, I was absolutely certain that a bear was stalking around the Dod. Most likely not but at the time I would have bet my life on it. Needless to say, it was a while before sleep came that night.

The rest was well worth the wait because the rain pitter-patted on the roof all the night long. Chicago tends to drown out the noises of nature and replace them with nutty bums yelling to themselves or loud bus recitations like "Route thirty-six. Broadway to Devon and Clark. BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP" Anyways, the rain was soothing and it was hard to get out of bed even though my left shoulder and hip are about to fall off from sleeping on what is essentially a padded tabletop.

The damp and rainy weather has not only made for some cozy indoor days but has also created some awesome scenes of wispy clouds resting on hilltops. It's beautiful and eerie all at once.

Sunday morning we packed up the pole and tackle box and drove north through the panhandle of Idaho where we came across a lovely RV park mid-afternoon. The kind host gave us a good deal on a full hookup. However, I think we were sold as soon as we heard the word "shower".

When we got settled, Chris started on lunch and noticed a small hole in the bread bag. Another in the tortilla bag. Then little nibble bites. And tiny mouse droppings! Why, there was a stowaway on board!! Well, there's only enough room for the two of us in the Dod so Chris devised a mousetrap consisting of a plastic trash bag, a two-liter, tape and a piece of post-nibbled bread. After a much-needed fix of chicken soup we set up the mousetrap.
Monday morning was mouse-less. The little freeloadin' sonuvabitch must have taken off earlier in the day. And as inviting as the RV park was, it was time to get back on the road. Today we drove five hours up the panhandle of Idaho near the Lewis and Clark trail and into Washington.
We are parked at another RV camp in Vantage, Washington for the night. Tomorrow, Seattle or BUST!


  1. The rocks were nice but I love this scenery
    much better.
    Beautiful pictures and so peaceful.
    Good job guys on catching your lunch.
    You done Dad proud Chris.
    Love you,

  2. "The worst day of fishing is better than the best day at work." I love that line. I need to become a fisher. You both are doing an excellent job of capturing your journey and I love checking in to see your new adventures. Safe travels. Love - Jen M.

  3. I would have taken quack with me. Nice job on the dinners, they dining setup looks better than anything I'm doing at home.